UK Family Visa – Family of a Settled Person Visa

The type of visa required for an individual wishing to stay in the UK subject to eligibility on the basis that they have a family member or spouse who possess indefinite leave to remain in the UK is known as a ‘family of a settled person visa’ and are valid for 2 years and 6 months.

You must meet with the eligibility requirements listed below in order to qualify for this visa, please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options available to you.

Application are only available if the following are satisfied;

  • From outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • Applying from and are in the UK at time of application (There is a different process and set of rules for those wanting to join a family member who are outside of the UK at the time of application, click here for information on this)

Applications are welcomed if;

  • You are needing to extend your existing ‘family of a settled person visa’
  • You are wanting to switch in to the ‘family of a settled person visa’ category

Family members must satisfy one of the following;

  • Be a British Citizen
  • Has settled in the UK
  • Be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

Dependant on your family members immigration status and history there could be exceptions to this visa, however we at Vincent Solicitors can discuss this with you in order to find the most suitable option based on your individual circumstances.

Visa Processing Time

This visa will usually take up to 8 weeks for postal applications but can be longer if a case is complex and additional information is required or information needs to be clarified or verified this will be totally dependant on each individual case. There is an option for same day visa process, which will incur a premium charge for this service. At Vincent Solicitors we have a strong belief that our clients should be kept up to date on their visa applications where necessary, to make your visa applications as easy and efficiently as possible.

UK Spouse Visa

Defined as 2 people who are over the age of 18, married, in a civil partnership or have been living together in a relationship for a period of 2 years. There must also be an intention to stay together after application has been made.

UK Spouse Visa- 2 year route

You can no longer apply for this visa route, you can apply however to extend this visa if;

  • You applied as a partner before 9 July 2012
  • Are not yet eligible to settle
  • Have kept to the terms of your original visa
  • You must be able to show that you are financially able to support yourselves and any dependants and that you will not be a drain on public funds
  • You must be able to show that you have good knowledge of the English language applicable to those over the age of 18

UK Spouse Visa- 5 year route

You must first meet the eligibility requirements for the partner routes and if you’re 18 or over you must prove that you have a good knowledge of the English Language.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child


Financial viability is not required if you are disabled or in receipt of disability benefits or carers allowance, however you must show that you will be able to adequately support yourselves and and dependants.

Sole Parental Responsibility Visa

Parent means a natural biological parent, an adoptive parent or a step parent where the biological parent is deceased. You will need to show the following;

  • You have sole parental responsibility for the child
  • You have shared parental responsibility, where the other parent is a British Citizen or is settled in the UK
  • You and your child are living in the UK
  • Your child is under the age of 18 or was at the time you made an application to join them
  • You are not eligible to apply for a partner visa
  • You are continuing to take an active role in the upbringing of your child

Private Life in the UK- 10 year route

  • You must be able to show that you have been living in the UK continuously for 10 years and that you are aged 18-24
  • Are aged 25 or over and have lived in the UK continuously for 20 years
  • Are aged 18 or over but have lived in the UK for less than 20 years, but would find it difficult to live elsewhere due to lack of family and friendship ties
  • Under the age of 18 but have lived in the UK for 7 years and would be unreasonable for you to leave the UK

Knowledge of the English Language

It is possible that you may have to show knowledge of the English Language when you apply for a route under 10 years, you can prove your knowledge of English by either passing an approved English Language Test or by having an academic qualification that was taught in English and recognised by the UK as being equivalent to a UK bachelors degree. There are other ways in which you can meet the English Language requirement which we can assist you with.

N.B – There are people who are exempt from this, if you are a national from the following countries; Antigua and Barbuda, Australia,The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA

Vincent Solicitors and Affordable fees

We cater to the needs of our clients by offering affordable fees and the option of flexible payment terms. If you cannot afford to pay our fee in full at the time of your instructions, we are happy for you to pay in instalments; we will accept half of the agreed fixed fee at the time of initial instructions with the balance to be paid upon submission of the application.

Vincent Solicitors and SRA Compliance

We are a firm of solicitors that is authorised and regulated by the SRA to provide immigration advice. Your matter will be dealt with by qualified immigration solicitors from instruction through to completion of your immigration matter. Get in touch for a free initial consultation.