This section is for nationals of countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. It explains how they and members of their families (whether or not they are EEA or Swiss nationals themselves) can come to, live in and work in the UK.

Rights and Responsibilities

This section explains your rights to enter, live in and work in the UK if you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. It also explains your family members’ rights.

As an EEA or Swiss national, you have the right to live and work in the UK (known as the ‘right of residence’) if: you are working here (and have obtained our permission to work if this is required – see below); or you can support yourself and your family in the UK without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds.

If you have a right to live the in the UK, your family may join you here. Your family is defined as:

  • Your spouse (husband or wife) or civil partner;
  • Any children or grandchildren of you, your spouse or your civil partner who are under 21 years of age or who are dependent on you; and
  • the parents or grandparents of you, your spouse or your civil partner.


Residence documents for European Citizens

This section explains why a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland may want to apply for confirmation that they have the right to live in the UK.

If you are an EEA or Swiss national, you can apply for a registration certificate. This is a document which confirms your right of residence in the UK under European law.

However, if you want to support an application for a residence card by any of your family members who are not EEA nationals, you must demonstrate that you are residing in the UK in accordance with the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 and are ‘exercising Treaty rights’ in the UK. You are said to be exercising Treaty rights if you are:

  • employed or self-employed; or;
  • studying; or
  • economically self-sufficient (meaning that you have sufficient funds to support you without requiring public funds); or
  • a jobseeker; or
  • retired; or
  • someone who has had to cease working in the UK owing to permanent incapacity.


EEA Family Permits for Family Members

This page explains what an EEA family permit is, and whether a non-European family member of a European national will need to obtain an EEA family permit before they can come to the UK.

An EEA family permit is issued overseas to nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who are family members of EEA nationals. A non-EEA family member of an EEA national will need to obtain an EEA family permit before travelling to the UK if they are coming to live with the EEA national in the UK.

EEA Nationals Family Members

CATEGORIES: Immediate Family Permit; Extended Family Permit
PERIOD OF VISA: Residence Card of 5 years, then Permanent Residency (PR)
DO WE HELP: Yes! We can advise you on all documents and necessary application form.


Our Immigration Department is headed by Mr Wamadi who specialise in the UK Immigration and Human Rights laws. He has been practising Immigration and Human Rights Law for many years and have gained vast knowledge and experience in this area of practice.

Mr. Wamadi having worked for various Highly Reputable Law Firms and having gained required experience, knowledge and skills as the Head of Immigration. He is very dedicated in provision of Immigration Legal Services to clients and almost all clients have his mobile number to contact in case of urgency should the need arise. He has always dealt with his clients’ immigration cases putting himself in their position and giving it importance from their point of view. He believes in giving 100% honest legal advice.

Free Immigration Advice

Our Immigration Solicitors can provide free general immigration advice subject to availability of our Immigration Solicitors and only for a time not exceeding 5 minutes via the following method:

  • Telephone: 0208 574 0666;
  • E-mail: