Corporate Immigration London Solicitors


Applying for a Residence Card as an Extended EEA Family Member of an EEA national

Are you an extended member of an EEA national?

The EEA regulation defines an extended family member as:

  • more distant family members of the EEA national or of his spouse / civil partner who can demonstrate that they are dependant on the EEA national.
  • someone who is in a “durable relationship” with the EEA national

You must meet with the eligibility requirements listed below in order to qualify for this visa, please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options available to you.

Under the EEA Regulation there are four kinds of extended family member:

  • a person who is a relative of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner and who is financially dependent on the EEA national or is a member of his/her household and who either:
  • is accompanying the EEA national to the UK or wishes to join him there, or
  • has joined him in the UK and continues to be dependent on him and be a member of his/her household;
  • a person who is a relative of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner and, on serious health grounds, strictly requires the personal care of the EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner;
  • a person who is a relative of an EEA national and would meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules (other than those relating to entry clearance) for ILR as a dependent relative of an EEA national were the EEA national a person present and settled in the UK;
  • a person who is the partner of an EEA national (other than a civil partner) and can prove that he is in a durable relationship with the EEA national.

How can you apply for an EEA Family permit on the basis of being an extended family member?

In order to apply as an EEA extended family member you will need to meet with the following criteria:

  • The applicant will need to demonstrate that they were dependant on the extended family member   on the relevant EEA national in the country from the from which they have come from to the UK. The dependency must have existed immediately before or very recently before the EEA national came to the UK; and
  • The extended family member must have come to the UK at the same time as the EEA national or just before or very recently thereafter.

How Vincent Solicitors can assist with your application?

At Vincent Solicitors our specialist immigration solicitors can assist with your residence card application as an extended family member of an EEA national and achieve the best possible outcome. We can provide you with a consultation to assess the merits of your case and thereafter devise a strategy to ensure that you are able to make a successful application. We can advise you about the documentary evidence needed to submit the application, help with the collation of relevant documentation, complete your application and submit this along with supporting representations to the UKVI.

Vincent Solicitors and Affordable fees

We cater to the needs of our clients by offering affordable fees and the option of flexible payment terms. If you cannot afford to pay our fee in full at the time of your instructions, we are happy for you to pay in instalments; we will accept half of the agreed fixed fee at the time of initial instructions with the balance to be paid upon submission of the application.

Vincent Solicitors and SRA Compliance

We are a firm of solicitors that is authorised and regulated by the SRA to provide immigration advice. Your matter will be dealt with by qualified immigration solicitors from instruction through to completion of your immigration matter. Get in touch for a free initial consultation.