Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa

This Tier 2 Visa can be issued to persons who are Non EEA Nationals who can successfully pass an English Language Test and has been offered employment or a job role within the religious/faith community within the UK allowing you to obtain a certificate of sponsorship the following job roles are eligible;

  • Ministers of a religious order who are undertaking preaching and pastoral work
  • Missionaries; or
  • Members of a religious order i.e Monk, Nun etc.

Religious duties include;

  • Leading worship regularly
  • Offering Religious education sessions to children and adults
  • Officiating marriages and other religious ceremonies
  • Offering counselling to the community and/or congregation
  • Recruiting and coordinating volunteers and lay preachers
  • Missionary or evangelical work (cannot include clerical work)
  • The work in a religious order must be in the order itself or work that is directed by the order

English Language requirement

In order to meet with the English language requirement an applicant can either sit an approved English Language Test or possess an academic qualification that was taught in English and recognised by the UK as being equivalent to a UK bachelors degree.

N.B – There are people who are exempt from this, if you are a national of the following countries; Antigua and Barbuda, Australia,TheBahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA

Certificate of Sponsorship

In order to make a successful application, the applicant will need to be issued with a certificate of sponsorship. This is a reference number which holds details about the job and all personal details, (the certificate is not a physical document). The applicant will receive this number from his or her sponsor, other information will need to be obtained such as salary.

Maintenance requirement

An applicant will need to demonstrate that they have at least £945 in savings for at least 90 consecutive days prior to application. There are some exemptions to this for those that are in the UK currently and have a visa in the following categories:

  • Tier 2
  • Work Permit Holder
  • Jewish Agency employee
  • Ground Staff for an Oversea Airline
  • Minister of Religion, Missionary. or member of a religious order
  • Representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting agency
  • N.B – You will also be exempt from showing that you have £945 savings if your sponsor is a ‘fully approved A-Rated’ and has stated on your sponsorship certificate that they will certify your maintenance.

Tier 2 Ministers of Religion Extension applications

We also assist applicants with extensions of current visas. In order to make a successful extension application, an applicant will need to have been issued with a new Certificate of Sponsorship for continued employment. A Tier 2 Visa can be extended for up to 3 years, or the time stated on the certificate of sponsorship plus an extra 14 days, or the time required to take an applicant’s total stay to the maximum 6 years, this will be decided by whichever time is shorter. Decisions are made within 8 weeks for postal or online applications or within 10 days if using the Tier 2 priority application service, and can be made on a same day basis if you use the premium service, subject to charges.

Indefinite Leave to remain under the Tier 2 Minister of Religion

After a continuous period of residence in the UK of five years under a Tier 2 Minister of religion Visa an applicant may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain provided he or she can meet with the requisite Immigration rule requirements.


Vincent Solicitors and Affordable fees

We cater to the needs of our clients by offering affordable fees and the option of flexible payment terms. If you cannot afford to pay our fee in full at the time of your instructions, we are happy for you to pay in instalments; we will accept half of the agreed fixed fee at the time of initial instructions with the balance to be paid upon submission of the application.

Vincent Solicitors and SRA Compliance

We are a firm of solicitors that is authorised and regulated by the SRA to provide immigration advice. Your matter will be dealt with by qualified immigration solicitors from instruction through to completion of your immigration matter. Get in touch for a free initial consultation.