Joining a Settled Person in the UK

The type of visa required for an individual wishing to stay in the UK subject to eligibility on the basis that they have a family member or spouse who possess indefinite leave to remain in the UK is known as a ‘family of a settled person visa’ and are valid for 2 years and 6 months.

You must meet with the eligibility requirements listed below in order to qualify for this visa, please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options available to you.

Application are only available if the following are satisfied;

  • Applying from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • You’re over 18 unless applying as a child
  • Your relationship with the family member or partner is genuine and legally recognised in your country
  • You intend to live with your family member or partner after application
  • You or your family have adequate living arrangement
  • The family must be fully financially supported or meet the financial requirement
  • Good knowledge of the English Language  unless aged over 18 – or are an adult  relative dependant


You must also show that;

  • Your partner or family member is a British Citizen or;
  • Has settled in the UK or;
  • Has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK


Applications are welcomed if;

  • You are wanting to join your partner
  • You are wanting to join your parents
  • You are coming to look after your child
  • You are coming to be looked after by your family

Visa Processing Time

A decision on your Visa application will take approximately 12 weeks, however time will differ, depending on which country you are making an application from, you can check here for more guidance on this.

Visa Restrictions

  • You are able to work with the ‘family of a settled person visa’
  • You are able to study with the ‘family of a settled person visa’
  • You cannot get access to public funding for yourself or any dependants


If you are already in the UK, you will not be able to apply for this particular visa you will need to apply to remain in the UK with a settled family member instead. If you are a parent or partner of a person who is already in the UK who has humanitarian protection or asylum in the UK, you may be eligible for a family reunion visa, we at Vincent Solicitors can determine the best route in which to take to ensure a strong visa application.

UK Spouse Visa

Defined as 2 people who are over the age of 18, married, in a civil partnership or have been living together in a relationship for a period of 2 years or are engaged to be married. There must also be an intention to stay together after application has been made. If there have been previous marriages/civil partnerships from either parties you must show that these relationships have irretrievably broken down permanently. You must also satisfy the financial requirements which are;

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child


If you are engaged to your partner you must show that you are planning to marry or enter in to a civil partnership within 6 months of entering the UK, it is not possible for you to work whilst engaged to be married.

Sole Responsibility Visa

  • Your child must be under the age of 18 and living in the UK
  • You must show that you cannot apply as a partner and that; you’re the only parent of the child and you are solely responsible for that child or;
  • Your child is in the care of the other parent or another carer and you want to come to help raise the child
  • You must be able to show that you are financially able to support yourselves and any dependants and that you will not be a drain on public funds

Vincent Solicitors and Affordable fees

We cater to the needs of our clients by offering affordable fees and the option of flexible payment terms. If you cannot afford to pay our fee in full at the time of your instructions, we are happy for you to pay in instalments; we will accept half of the agreed fixed fee at the time of initial instructions with the balance to be paid upon submission of the application.

Vincent Solicitors and SRA Compliance

We are a firm of solicitors that is authorised and regulated by the SRA to provide immigration advice. Your matter will be dealt with by qualified immigration solicitors from instruction through to completion of your immigration matter. Get in touch for a free initial consultation.